The Department of Commerce was established in the year 1991 by the golden hands of Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal and his holiness of Sri Sankara Vijayendra Saraswathi Swamigal. Since its inception, the Department of Commerce was functioning successfully with full of enthusiasm. The Department has fully qualified and eminent faculty members with high backend knowledge of commerce, accounts and banking.
The main objective of the Department is to provide quality education in the discipline of Commerce. Its other objectives may be stated as follows:
- To motivate students to have a professional career in Commerce by taking up such courses as CA, ICWA and ACS.
- To encourage students who don’t aspire for a professional career in Commerce to take up the M.Com Degree Course that would help them to have an academic career.
- To offer certificate courses for enhancing the employment prospects of the students.
- To organize guest lectures, workshops, debates, quiz programmes etc. that would help in the personality development of the students.
- To provide placement opportunities for the students.
- The Course offered by the Department focuses on all commerce subjects without concentrating on any specific subject. Our mission is that the students should have exposure to Accounting, Law, Management, Marketing and Banking.
- The Department has revising the syllabus periodically in tune with the needs of the industry. GST, Payment Banks etc. which are being discussed and debated in all forums have already been brought into our syllabus.
- The Department also has the mission of motivating those students who don’t aspire for a professional career to pursue the M.Com Degree Course. Such students, on completing their PG Course, also pursue research programmes like M.Phil. & Ph.D in the Department itself.
- Certificate Courses on ‘Tally’ is offered by the Department in collaboration with certain private institutions. This course is of shorter duration and classes are conducted after college hours for interested students. The fee charged is also very nominal. Such courses enhance the employment prospects of the students and are being pursued by many.
- From the academic year 2019-20 every student is required to do [For PG 1 UG 2] certificate course from the online courses offered under the Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) under SWAYAM platform. Student can choose the course that suits him.
- Executives from companies and professional bodies visit the Department on a regular basis and seek permission to address the students on courses they organize or on internship programmes or placement opportunities. The Department provides the necessary facilities to such executives to address the students. Many students are being benefited out of such interactions.
- When the B.Com Degree Course, was started , the focus was to prepare the students to become Chartered Accountants. CA has remained the career preference of many of our B.Com students over the years. It is with this in mind that the Department has prepared the syllabus for the Course. There is always a steady demand for a seat in the B.Com in our College. This has necessitated opening of additional sections over the years.
- An endeavour was also made to prepare students desirous of taking up teaching as their career. For this reason the M.Com Degree Course was started in the year 2012. With M.Phil. & Ph.D Degree qualifications becoming mandatory for college teachers, these research programmes have also come to be started by the Department.
- The Department further ensures that all the faculty members possess the qualifications that are prescribed by the UGC and update themselves from time to time by undergoing Orientation and Refresher Courses.
- The Department has a forum called “C – Club” that organizes quest lectures, workshops, quiz programmes and debates that are being coordinated by the students themselves. Such programmes enable students to equip themselves better in terms of enriching their general knowledge, acquiring communication skills and leadership qualities.
Chronology of events
- 1991 Establishment of the department with B.Com Degree Course.
- 2001 Introduction of shift – II for the welfare of women.
- 2012 Commencement of M.Com Degree Course.
- 2012 Additional Section of B.Com. for Shift – I.
- 2015 Additional Section of B.Com., for Shift – II
- 2018 Additional Section of B.Com., Degree for Shift – I
- 2018 Introduction of M.Phil. Course.
- 2019 Introduction of Ph.D.
- Every year a number of intercollegiate and inter departmental competitions are conducted by the department as part of C -Club. Eminent personalities in the field of commerce and industry are invited to share their knowledge with the students. The Department brings experts to give guest lectures in contemporary subjects whenever there is a revision of syllabus.
- A number of students from the department have been placed in reputed companies through the Career Guidance cell of the college.
- To tie up with Professional Accounting Bodies so that the college can be made a part of their study center.
- To enter into MOUs with select industries to enhance the employability of the students.